My name is Luciano Mastronardi, i am a specialist in Neurosurgery since 1985 and Chief of Neurosurgery department of the S. Filippo Neri Hospital in Rome (ITALY) since July 2010. In addition to clinical and surgical daily practice, I also carry out duties of a tutor for doctors in training and I am a teaching professor of Skull Base Surgery at the Neurosurgery Residency Program of the “Tor Vergata” University of Rome. My experience consists of more than 3500 surgical procedures and focuses on the following fields :
Microsurgery of cerebral tumors and skull base tumors, particularly of acoustic neuromas, vascular malformations (aneurysms and cavernous angiomas), and microvascular decompression for irritative pathology of cranial nerves such as trigeminal neuralgia and hemifacial spasm. In the field of intracranial tumors I have received a relevant international award (Congress of Neurological Surgeons, San Diego, USA, 2007). In the surgical treatment of skull base pathologies I also carry out the role of co-director and tutor in microneurosurgical dissection courses in USA (www.inerf.org), in Europe (www.friendssc.com) and Italy.
- Vertebral and spinal cord disease, particularly microsurgery of cervical disc herniation and of cervical myelopathy caused by spondyloarthrosis, for which I have received national and international awards for clinical and surgical research relating to the clinical and surgical application of technological innovations. Moreover, I deal with microsurgery of lumbar disc herniation and of lumbar vertebral stenosis, instrumented spinal surgery (pedicular screw stabilization) and minimally invasive spine techniques.
My scientific work is verifiable on the website PubMed/Medline by typing “Mastronardi L” (over 100 entries) and consists of more than 350 publications in international journals, books and reports in national and international congresses and courses.
A reference video (Source : http://www.po-medica.se)
The team: MIG-Rome (Microneurosurgical International Group). President Dr. Luciano Mastronardi, Honorary Vice-President Prof. Luc De Waele (Ghent, Belgium). Other components of the Group are: Dr. Raffaelino Roperto, Dr. Guglielmo Cacciotti, Dr. Franco Caputi, Dr. Maria Pia Tonelli, Dr. Thomas Muller, Dr. Alessandro Cerroni, Dr. Ettore Di Scipio, Dr. Alessandro Nisii, and other professionals.
Where we visit and operate in ITALY:
San Filippo Neri Hospital in Rome (www.sanfilipponeri.roma.it)
- Ars Medica (Private Hospital) , Via Ferrero di Cambiano 2, Rome
- Quisisana (Private Hospital), Via Porro 5, Rome
- Villa del Rosario (Private Hospital), Via Flaminia 499, Rome
- Cerebral and spinal cord tumors. Microsurgery of benign and malignant intracranial and spinal cord tumors, skull base tumors, acoustic neuromas and neuromas of other cranial nerves.
- Trigeminal neuralgia and Hemifacial spasm caused by neurovascular conflict (microvascular decompression by retrosigmoid approach).
- Cervical spine surgery. When to use the disc prosthesis (arthroplasty) and when not to, analysis of technological know-how. Cervical disc herniation, cervical myelopathy, cervical spine stenosis, degenerative, traumatic and neoplastic disease of the cervical spine.
- Lumbar spine surgery. Lumbar spine surgery. Minimally invasive surgery of the lumbar spine and lumbar spine surgery in patients with osteoporosis, including pedicle screw fixation for degenerative instability. Lumbar disk herniation, lumbar spondylolisthesis, lumbar spine stenosis, degenerative, traumatic and neoplastic disease of the lumbar spine.